Wednesday, June 10, 2009

EA's NFL Monopoly Needs To End



Let me first say that I am a huge fan of Madden, I buy every years new version, even if they are barely upgraded. But with the court case of EA's Monopoly being allowed to continue, I think I need to touch on why it is important for the Industry if EA lost their sole ownership of the NFL license.

Competition is key to innovation in any industry, period. Without competition, companies will not work hard to bring out the best product they can. Just imagine, if the video game industry in whole was monopolized, if either Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony was the only one with the legal right to make a console, then we would see the lowest possible quality of games, with little to none innovation. To me that world would suck, I am glad that their are 3 very powerful console makers, that ensures us gamers that they are each going to try their hardest to outdo the competition, and give us gamers the innovation we demand. But also it is crucial to the industry, without new innovations growth would stall, and users would get bored with their consoles, and possibly leave gaming.

Back to Madden, I firmly believe that if 2K sports was still producing their stellar NFL titles, then we would be seeing two incredible football games every year. Yes I know that Madden will sell millions of copies regardless of the quality of their game, but when NFL2K was still alive and kicking, Madden continually stepped up their game and brought a great title every year. I for one, was a die hard 2K fan, and thought they brought the best of the NFL experience to the game, and I miss that.

The same also applies to the MLB license, just look at the quality of MLB2K games after they acquired the license, all of their games have suffered terribly, and they add little innovation. The MLB license to 2K has kept me away from buying these titles, and actually has caused me to lose interest in a sport that I once was a hardcore fan of.

With all that said, I think it would be in the best interest of the Leagues, consumers, the entire gaming industry, and developers to end their monopolizing of these licenses, and allow creativity to flow once again in a river that has dried up.
share on: facebook

No comments: